Saturday, January 20, 2007

from the World Social forum today I met Professor Wagari Matthai; Nobel peace price

Dear readers


sorry for not writing earlier; it is difficult to have access to the web::: since the last blog; lots happened:::I am not staying at the camp; instead at the wsf venue:

I had lots of interpreting assignments;mostly consecutive; because part of the equipment for the conference interpreting was missing:::

On Sunday apart from interpreting; I attended an interesting talk on Fair trade organised by IFAT and a seminar of future impacts of climate change organised by UNEP:
The topic of the control of natural ressources has been one of the main topics of the foruM,

i had the opportunity to meet other interpreters; including a Brazilian; and some argentinians*
I went to a talk on carbon credits organised by a Swedish institute where I met Vandana Shiva; Indian environmentalist;


Monday was busy as I had to interpret quite a lot; first in the morning at a brazilian german seminar; later at talk by Oil watch; another one on water resources;and later on another on organised by a peruvian forum!!!! i did not have a lot of time to attend seminars::::

Finally today I interpreted again on the issue of Oil and about Health care in Cuba:

It was remarkable that I had the opportunity to meet the Nobel peace price and ask a question about the green belt tree planting movement**She liked the question and I was amazed by the response:

I was planning to meet Mary robinson; former prime minister of Ireland but she left too early:::

there are some local interpreters fluent in Spanish ,who are tour guides too:::

In general the forum is quite different to the one in Porto alegre Brazil: I will write more on this:


food in kenya is lovely::: people are friendly; robbery very high:::


i will post the photos once I will return back to ireland:::


Jambo

No comments: