Saturday, January 20, 2007

starting of the World Social forum today

Dear readers

greetings from sunny Nairobi. The weather today was very hot, over 30 degrees.. and I am starting to get some colour...
the WSF started today... we went to Kibera, the biggest favela in Africa, start point of the march. From there we continue walking to the Urubu Park.
I had two interviews, one with a french station ( in English) and another with the Brazilian NGO's observatory ( in Portuguese) giving my impression about the forum as well as about previous forums I attended in Porto Alegre.


Just to understand a bit my role in this current social forum. I have been asked to work as an interpreter. It is voluntary work, we will just receive a small allowance.I went to collect my badge yesterday... There were other 300 interpreters, most of them Africans.. there were a few Europeans, including a Basque woman, and an Irish woman, who was the trainer and is a member of BABEL volunteer interpreters group.
I have to say that yesterday's experience was amazing. The Irish woman, Judith, mentioned my name and experience in front of the 300 interpreters. She was happy to listen some news about Ireland. She currently lives in the French Pirinees... sorry for the spelling. I will let you know more about the interpreting during the next coming days...\

Just a few comments about today... the march was good, we were at the end carrying the green flags, I was carrying an Irish one... I did not see any Irish people...just a few Latin Americans ( members of the International Peasant's movement, Via Campesina) some nice girls from Cordoba Solidaria in the South of Spain and few other journalist.
I had the opportunity to go to the area of the artist, as I met the cultural organiser a few days ago. .. Most of the musicians were Africans except a Brazilian singer... The interviews went well. I have to run to the bus, the other Greeners are waiting... until now take care

will post more photos soon,,,,

No comments: