Saturday, January 13, 2007

in Nairobi/estoy en Nairobi Karibu-in Swahili

Hola a todos, hello everybody, Jambo !


Finally after being travelling since 7am ( the time I left Dublin this morning) I arrived in Nairobi.

I am currrently staying at the Nairobi Backpacker hostel.
It looks like a lodge. There are individual rooms as well as dormitories and some people are sleeping in tents located in the garden.

Just in connection to the trip today, I had the opportunity to meet a group of canadians in Heathrow today, who are going to film a documentary on Development issues in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya. www.revised.tv

On the plane near me there was a friendly Kenyan woman who is working for the environmental NGO called WWF. She was travelling for more than a day as she left Washington yesterday. She gave me some advice and recommendations in connection to the stay in Kenya.

Once I arrived at the International airport in Nairobi I paid the 50USD visa fee and I went out to look for Peter, a Kenyan working at the Backpacker hostel who brought me back to the Hostel. Just to comment that there is a prayer room at the airport, just like a #mezquita#.
When I leave the airport it was rainining a lot.... I thought that it was the rainy season, but it seems that this is not the case. I was told that it was today the only day of the week with rain...Peter explained that the streets in Nairobi after 9pm are just empty...

The people at the hostel welcomed me, very friendly. Tomorrow it will be a long day as I have to meet some of the other volunteers from the World Social Forum 2007

www.wsf2997.org

Bye now

It is very warm, at around 19 degrees.

Just read a nice note in the hostel


HAS AFRICA GIVEN YOU SOMETHING?

GiVE SOMETHING BACK

# we are collection some items to donate for a local project...



Finalmente despues de estar viajando desde las 7am ( hora que sali de Dublin esta manana) acabe de llegar a Nairobi. En estos momentos me encuentro hospedada en un hostel international.
www.nairobibackpackers.com
Parece como una cabana, hay cuartos individuales y dormitorios y tambien tiendas fuera en el jardin.

Volviendo al tema del viaje, hoy en Heathrow tuve la oportunidad de encontrarme con un grupo de canadienses que vienen a rodar un documental sobre temas de Desarrollo en Uganda. Tanzania y Kenya. www.revised.tv

Ya en el avion se sento a mi lado una chica muy simpatica de Kenya que trabaja para la organizacion WWF de Medio Ambiente. Llevaba mas de 1 dia viaje, ya que salio ayer desde Washington. Me dio algunos consejos y recomendaciones para la estancia en Kenya.

Ya habiendo llegado al aeropuerto Internacional Jomo Kenyatta pague la visa de 50 USD y fui a buscar a Peter, un chico de Nairobi que trabaja en el hostel que me estaba esperando para llevarme al Backpackers hostel. Hay una sala de oraciones, algo asi como una mezquita en el aeropuerto. Al salir del aeropuerto llovia a cantaros, imagine que estuvieramos en la epoca de lluvias. Pero no era el caso. Parece ser que hoy fue el unico dia que llovio esta semana. Me comenta que a partir de las 9pm Nairobi las calles de Nairobi estan desiertas...

Al llegar al hostel me encuentro con gente muy agradable
y receptiva.Manana me espera un dia largo. Tendre que ir a un encuentro con otros voluntarios del forum Social mundial. www.wsf2007.org y encontrare con otros de los participantes.

Hace bastante calor, unos 19 grados.

Acabo de leer un letrero en el Hostel

TE HA DADO ALGO AFRICA?
PUES ENTONCES PON ALGO DE Tu parte

para donar a un proyecto local

Kwaheri _Goodbye -Adios


No comments: