Monday, January 15, 2007

Jambo, jambo!!!

Hello again from Nairobi.
Since the last time I wrote in the blog really interesting things happened...

On Sunday night I stayed at the Backpackers hostel and I received the visit of some of the organisers of the World social forum in charge of the Cultural committee, the opening and closing ceremony. We discussed about very interesting issues not only music, as well about the current political situation, campaigning activities. It was a coincidence that some of their friends travelled to Porto Alegre ( Brazil) on the same plane in 2004. I knew that the Social Forum is strong in Kenya, specially in the east coast near Mombassa...

On Monday morning I left the Backpackers hostel, and I went briefly to the WSF venue at the Sports stadium. Same place I visited on Sunday. I met an Irish woman in charge of the Interpreters, mainly Kenyan. I had a chat with two Kenyan girls who are fluent in Spanish. One of them was living in Barcelona. The Irish woman was in charge of training Interpreters in Simulatenous translation. I have a better idea now of what the WSF is going to be about...This time Babel interpreters are not in charge, instead a local committee from Kenya, Denmark and Germany are in charge of translation/interpreting for a conference of more than 100.000 participants... I read that Winnie Mandela is going to attend as well as Desmond Tutu from South Africa and 6 Brazilian Ministers....

I confirmed by assistance to the interpreters meeting on Friday. It was really a nice experience to have the opportunity to participate for a while at the training...

Interpreting in Ireland is a different experience as the one from here...

more to continue

No comments: